Monday 1 October 2012

From Luxor to Luton!

I recently returned to the UK and having spent the last few weeks sorting out the flat that I rent out to tenants on the south coast am now beginning the important task of finding a job, so that I can be in a position to start the visa application for my husband to join me in the UK.

For the time being though I am basing myself in Luton, which is about 30 miles from London, living with my aunt who has a 4-bed house on the outskirts of the town, while I kick-start my job search in and around the capital and the midlands. 

For those of you that don't know anything about Luton let me introduce you! Luton is a multi-cultural town with a population of around 200,000 and is best known for its hat making industry, its international aiport,  the Hatters - Luton Town FC, the local football team - which in the 1980s was a successful First Division team but is now in the conference league, the motor industry and not forgetting one of its most notable supporters, the legendary comedian Eric Morecambe. 



The legendary Eric Morecambe with Glenda Jackson in an Egyptian themed comedy sketch!

So in the space of a few weeks I have swapped the Nile view, blue skies and 40 degree heat of Luxor for the autumnal Luton, in the heart of the county of Bedfordshire. Poles apart it would appear, but then not so as Luton has a diverse ethnic mix . Today as I did the washing up a woman in a full black burka and niqab face veil walked past the window, it made me feel just like being home in Luxor!!


No comments:

Post a Comment